ITR Filing 2019: Deadline to file income tax returns extended till 31 August
The Indian government has extended the due date to file an income tax return by a month. The new deadline is 31 August 2019.
“In this regard, the Central Board of Direct Taxes, in exercise of its powers conferred under Section 119 of the Income Tax Act, 1961, hereby extends the due date as prescribed under Section 139 (1) of the Act for filing of income tax returns from 31st July, 2019, to 31st August, 2019, in case of all taxpayers who are liable to file their income tax returns by the said due date,” a Finance Ministry
The decision came after some “taxpayers were facing certain difficulties,” said the government.
The government introduced the rule to file income tax by 31 July last year. Before that, people were allowed to file their income tax return documents anytime before 31 March.
People who breach the deadline to file the income tax return are still eligible for belated returns. However, The Income Tax department
is going to levy a penalty of ₹5000 if you file your return before 31 December of the assessment year.
How can salaried employees file income tax online?
Here are simple steps to file income tax returns online
- Keep all the documents like PAN, Aadhaar, Bank Account details, Form 16, and details of investments ready before you start filing the income tax.
- Register and Login with IRS website by submit the details of your email ID and mobile number.
- Upload Form 16.
- Enter the details like your name as on your PAN card, PAN, date of birth, and father’s name.
- Then, fill in the name and the category of your employer.
- Enter your salary details and the TDS information. (Try entering the break-up for the clear calculation of taxable income.)
- Enter the details of the investments you made to claim the deductions. It can include contributions towards PPF, and insurance premiums and also tuition fees of children.
- Fill in the form 26AS with necessary details about any income other than your salary.
- In the next step, you will have to enter your bank account details and e-file your income tax return.
- Once done, you will get an acknowledgment number.
- You can also e-verify your income tax return.